Annual Conference Education
(Attendees only. *Exhibitor info coming soon.*)
5 Ways to Win & Wow New Customers
#1 Don’t compete on price alone – Figure out how to tell families what makes your funeral home special.
Opening Keynote: Attract New Customers by Differentiating Your Funeral Home from the Rest
Matthew Pollard - Rapid Growth Speaker & Coach, 1 CE
Friday, April 21 - 8:00 - 9:15 a.m.
Passion for what you do has been proven to be a driving force for the success of any business, yet many people don’t enjoy what they do for a living. By changing your mentality about your business and learning from successful people, you can make your funeral home thrive.
- Discuss the habits of successful and unsuccessful people.
- Discover how to over-deliver to client families by implementing new customer service tips.
- Implement daily time management strategies from business experts and millionaires to inject passion into your work.
5 Steps for Setting Your Funeral Home Apart: Craft Your Differentiated and Unified Message
Matthew Pollard, 1 CE
Friday, April 21 - 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
You don’t have to compete on price alone. Come ready to roll up your sleeves and dive into an hour-long strategic consultation on how to determine what sets your funeral home apart.
- Discover how funeral homes have successfully communicated their unique value for helping families plan funerals and memorials.
- Complete the 5-step hands-on system introduced in Matthew’s first session to identify what unique value your funeral home offers.
- Learn how to communicate messages that attract client families.
#2 Make sure families know their options when it comes to viewing the body.
How to Present Embalming and Open Casket Options So Families Will Thank You Later
Vernie Fountain, 1 CE
Friday, April 21 - 9:45 - 10:45 a.m.
With the widespread acceptance of cremation, do the families you serve understand the importance of saying goodbye to loved ones before disposition? Mr. Fountain will share how communicating the value of a viewing will not only increase your bottom line but will also help families start the process of healing.
• Learn tips for communicating the value of a private/ public viewing to all families during the arrangement conference.
• Gain ideas for educating the public about the full range of services your funeral home offers.
• Discover ways to navigate challenging questions from families and staff who have misperceptions about viewings.
Techniques to Repair Minor to Severe Trauma Cases
Vernie Fountain, 1 CE
Friday, April 21 - 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
Calling embalmers and prep-room staff – this session is for you. Discover time-tested restorative art principles from expert Vernie Fountain that you can apply to every case.
- Learn various methods for repairing minor to severe facial injuries and bone structure challenges.
- Explore do’s and don’ts from actual case studies.
- Acquire knowledge that enables you to properly approach trauma cases and create better body appearance than your competitors.
#3 Identify and create services your cremation families will want.
4 Tips for Wooing Cremation Families
Laine Phillips, OGR, 1.5 CE
Saturday, April 22 - 9:15 - 10:15 a.m.
More and more families choose cremation and aren’t aware of all your funeral home can do for them beyond direct disposition. Learn to communicate your value and give cremation families what they really want.
- Identify solutions to help families plan memorable life celebration events.
- Discover an easy yet practical approach to handling cremation phone inquiries.
- Update your cremation packages to meet consumers’ needs.
- Get tips for keeping your funeral home at top of mind for prospective client families.
#4 Up your technology game.
Simple Gadgets for Making Life and Serving Families Easier
Various Facilitators, 1.5 CE
Saturday, April 22 - 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Imagine tracking the progress of a procession from your cell phone or using a free, quick solution for communicating with your staff while you're on a call. This hands-on session will include quick ten-minute presentations that explore easy-to-use technology tools you can start using in your funeral home today. Learn to work smarter, not harder.
#5 Discover how other independents are succeeding and adapt these methods for your funeral home.
Closing Keynote: How to Create Value for What We Do in a Bottom Feeder Market
David Riemann, 1 CE
Saturday, April 22 - 2:45 - 3:45 p.m.
What changes would you make to your business if you could start over? Former OGR President David Riemann will share how he reimagined his funeral home after Hurricane Katrina damaged several of his buildings. Recognizing the changes taking place in funeral service, he left his comfort zone and made serious changes to better serve families in his community.
- Learn how to identify innovative service ideas for your funeral home to compete with low-cost providers.
- Identify practical tools for battling the “that won’t work in our community” mindset.
- Gain inspiration for making changes that will help your funeral home thrive during times of change.
Great Ideas Exchange
Member Led, 1.5 CEs
Saturday, April 22 - 1:00 - 2:30 p.m.
The most helpful ideas often come from your colleagues. Join us for roundtable discussions on issues you’re currently facing. In this year’s Great Ideas Exchange, members will learn new ways to tackle challenges and keep their businesses above ground. Come prepared with questions to contribute to the annual networking exchange.
Study Group Style Exchange: What’s Your Best Practice?
Member Led, 1 CE
Friday, April 21 - 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
The most helpful ideas often come from your colleagues. Join us in this study group style session, which will deep dive into specific challenges your facing. Come prepared to share a best practice that’s helped you solve one challenge this year.
The Annual Conference will offer up to 9 CEs in states where approved. Visit www.ogr.org/ceus for a current list of approvals.
Ensure your staff won’t miss out on conference education! Two of this year’s sessions will be repeated in May via webinar at no additional cost* to you. Sign up at www.ogr.org/webinars.
*These webinars are a free member benefit. Minimal fee for members who require CE credit.